3/7/11

Just when you thought you were alone and everything you did was pointless...

Brendan Ouellette sent me this great article on Kenneth Goldsmith (founder of UBUWEB) and said that reading it reminded him of me and the show I just curated. So, naturally I read the article and was amazed to find that not only could I relate his words to my show, I found that I could also relate it to my practice and what I think I am doing right now; especially with my video and sculptural works. I speak specifically to how he talks about pixelation and poor-quality in film/video, that it is expected of many people something that is "bad" because they leave their expectations of something "good" to those who hold the authority over what is traditionally good or bad. It's also worth to mention his discussion over contemporary media and their relationship to viewing avant-garde durational work. That sitting in your bed, with your laptop and your headphones on, is far more satisfying and enjoyable than sitting in an art gallery and awkwardly loafing around while the work slowly leads on. Something about the relationship of duration, video, and comfort gives me a really good feeling inside and I think that it's a topic that's been lingering in my mind over my own work for the past few months; living on the island has had a kind of internalization affect on me. I also like to look at my sculptures in this kind of light too... that alot of my work is temporal and made of re-cycled and often re-used materials that become both socially and selfishly-referential. That a kind of passive process turns all the things around me into aesthetically pleasing and critically achieving works... something I feel a kind of hyped energy about it. Anyways, so many things i've done recently have been dominantly for an internet audience (one that I'm not even sure exists; a kind of stone into the pond... or phone into the pit...) that it makes me wonder if anything I do would be fitting for a gallery at all. Maybe it's best if I only exhibit emotionally charged banal drawings that inexplicitly verbalize a manifested scrutiny... hmm... Not that I think I'm into this whole labeling/critiquing of what is "bad art" (in that I think it doesn't even matter) but maybe it's all kind of a circle of ironisized moronism that thinks it's making breakthroughs or cheeky jokes... HA. I guess it's all fun and games.

Thanks again Brendan!

"We are used to bad quality, we expect things to be bad quality. It’s the new normal." - Kenneth Goldsmith


Also, I think that this DVD project I am doing is stupid and I am doing something else...



I think this video addresses alot of all this talking...

No comments: